Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chapter 11 The History of Cats

Well, you Humans have Adam and Eve, but we cats have 5 mothers.  Their names are legendary, Mitzy, Tricksy, Kitty, Mittens and Catty. These are revered names in Cat history.  It all started back in the Middle East maybe even Israel,  We cats are all descended from the African WildCat.  Well we cats are tamed, and not really domesticated, if you get my drift.
 So when you humans started to plant grain, and changing your lifestyle, we changed ours.  Before we lived in the forests, or out on the desert, catching lizards and other small reptiles.

As you know, when you harvest grain, you also attract rodents.  Well, we cats noticed that all the rodents were rushing to eat all this grain.  We cats don't like grain, but we do like mice!  The mice were getting rather fat having the easy life.  At that time, about 10,000 years ago, the mice were having a field day.  So Mitzy, Tricksy, Kitty, Mittens and Catty, followed the mice and started to live near human settlements.   Most of the time the cats came out at night to catch the mice.  At first, the humans chased us away and a few were caught and killed.  After a while though some cats decided that they wanted a good pet.  A scratch behind the ears is always best after breakfast, don't you think?  Well those ancient cats felt the same way.  So a few were brave enough to go to the children and get a good pet.  It is the same way today, you know?  I'm wild, and I come out when I feel like it.  We haven't changed our shapes or let humans grow up too big or too small, like dogs.  There are a lot of cats who don't like humans, that's ok too.  We cats like to sleep where it is warm, and a few of us snuggled up to you humans.  Its an equal relationship, you pet me, I'll keep the rats and mice away.  You give me milk and I get my meat by myself.  Give and take, that's the best!

All domestic cats, yes, even me are directly related to one of the five mothers.  We don't know who the fathers were, but you can be sure that there were more than a few.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco and The Glass Cat

 Today my owner brought home a glass cat. The glass cat is not such a nice cat.  She was brought to life by a magician and she is not soft, ...